Thursday, January 28, 2010

Thoughts from a Hike

Today I spent the day hiking to a waterfall, communing with God and remembering Mom…she left us 12 years ago today. As I hiked, a number of thoughts came to mind comparing hiking to life. If I were good at this sort of thing, I could take these thoughts and turn them into something profound about this journey we call life. But I'm not good with metaphors or analogies or illustrations...see, I don't even know what they're called! But I'm going to put my list here and let you make your own connections.
  • If you start out thinking you won’t get wet or muddy, you’re wrong.
  • Sometimes you step on a rock that is very unsteady.
  • Crossing seems to be easier if you go fast…slowing down to contemplate makes your feet slip more.
  • Using a hiking stick to help balance makes all the difference.
  • You keep thinking this would be so much easier with a companion. It’s nice to have someone by your side through the rough waters.
  • A pack on your back can get very heavy. Sometimes you wish you could just throw if off.
  • When you come to a crossing that you can’t figure out, sometimes it helps to sit up on a rock and read and wait for someone else to come along. You watch them cross and if they have difficulty, you wait for someone else. After you’ve watched a few people cross, it’s easier to see the best way.
  • It’s possible to drop something more valuable (camera) while trying to grab something less valuable (water bottle).
  • The first obstacle you encountered seems so small when you return from the rest of the journey.
  • The trek back is so much easier, maybe because you are more confident having made it all the way up.
**The waterfall picture above is one I took today.  It was beautiful!**

No comments: