Friday, January 22, 2010

Journaling

I often mention that I am not a writer. I often find it difficult to put words together that truly express what I'm feeling. So throughout life I have been drawn to authors and people who can take thoughts, express them in words and convey the feeling.

My Dad is one of those. I've been aware from a young age that Dad could put words together in sermons and prayers that communicate effectively, that others can easily relate to, that "touch" people. I recall that often he would finish praying and I would think "that's exactly what I want to say but couldn't figure out how to say it" or "that's exactly what I'm feeling". I'm so thankful for him and that I get to have him as my Dad!

From a very young age, I began keeping journals, but most often not with my own writings but with scripture, poems, prayers and quotes that touched me, that moved me, that struck a chord deep in my heart. (I have an art project I did as a child from a poem I copied from Highlights Magazine about a teddy bear. And I still have a few pages from notebooks that have sappy adolescent poems from Seventeen Magazine!)  

I'll spare you the teddy bear and sappy poems, but I will often put some other journal entries here . . . 1) because I've been reading and re-reading some of them for many, many years and they continue to mean something to me and 2) because they are usually a good launching point for me to expand on some of my own thoughts.

I hope you'll find some you can relate to also.

No comments: